Monday, May 03, 2021

It's official!

We are now fully engaged in the process of returning to life on Kantara! As reported earlier, we had already made a couple of short visits to make sure the boat was okay, and to bring back from her a number of 'seasonal' things that we won't be needing this side of winter. Then, last Wednesday, we took a load of  things to replace them, but, better than that, we stayed for a couple of days, giving us the opportunity to begin to prepare to cruise. I know it sounds weird, but the sound of the engine revving and ticking over was a thing of great beauty to me. I did all of the fire safety checks - smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers - engine checks, electrical checks. We made the bed, we installed the new seat cushions, I washed the roof. We loved it. 

Regular readers may recognise these scenes from earlier posts, sorry. It was the best I could do on the mooring from which I've taken countless pictures in the last ten years.





I was very surprised to see how few boats had left the marina. Friends who we know to be keen cruisers aren't even in their boats yet. The marina was like a ghost town. Two hours after we arrived I'd only seen three people, and they were in the office. There were no dogs; I heard one bark just once.

We're back in St Albans again now, with a few domestic matters to deal with in the house. We had intended to go back to Yelvertoft today, but decided against joining the post-lockdown hordes on the M1. Tuesday will do just fine.

I've now run out of the boaty photos I've been using to create "paintings" with. I did say that I'd post them here once a month, but that didn't last long. I've been putting them on Facebook, and been bowled over by the complimentary reception they've received. If you're interested, you can find them all - and more - on Flickr now. I hope you enjoy them. I've had a few people ask if I'd treat a photo or two of theirs in the same way, and been happy to do so - free of charge. If that appeals to you, do contact me at nbkantara@gmail,com. 


The weather out there is positively autumnal; wet, windy and chilly. Fingers crossed for a big improvement soon!





1 comment:

  1. Fantastic, Roger! I’ll look forward to stories from the cut again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!