Friday, May 28, 2021

There's something of a cloud hanging over NB Kantara at the moment...

...and that's despite the bright sky (at last!)



The cloud is caused by my hernia. I had the telephone consultation last week, and the doctor booked me to see him in person next Wednesday. How long I'll have to wait for the surgery I don't know, but I do know that I'll have to be engaged in very little physical activity for at least six weeks after it's done. The bottom line is that we can fairly confidently say we won't be cruising this year -  the second year running.

(Real clouds drifted in as the day drew on.)






Many thanks go to the many previously herniated members of two boaters' groups on Facebook* for their helpful, sympathetic and often encouraging replies to my posts asking for their thoughts about the outlook for my boating life.
(*The Friendly Narrowboat and Waterways Group & Narrowboat and Canal Lovers Group)
Instead of cruising, then, Instead, we'll use the time getting all the outstanding jobs done so that Kantara is ready to go as soon as I'm ready. The jobs aren't too numerous, but some of them will be quite time-consuming.
  • repaint the front cratch board (started yesterday)
  • install the new horn and tunnel lamp
  • pack the top of the flue jacket with rockwool
  • paint the chimney inside the cabin
  • strip and repaint the taffrail
  • get the Thetford rinse pipe reconnected/replaced/repaired
  • clean the cratch cover
  • deal with paint damage on the port side of the hull.
  • wash and wax the cabin (outside, of course).
  • sandpaper the inside of the hand-grip along the length of both sides of the roof
That's all! Just those. (I was wrong. They are too numerous).

Today's sunset was phenomenal!




******

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this, Roger, but your health is definitely more important. At least you can be on Kantara and enjoy the healing atmosphere that being on the water brings. Wishing you a speedy op and a smooth recovery. I love your photos, so I'll be looking out for more of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement, Val, and your well-wishes. You're right, we're in the best place for recovery. And I'm very thankful that it's only a hernia!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!