Friday, June 12, 2020

What's in a name?

Going through my collection, trying to sort out the thousand to put on Flickr,  I found a number of photos simply of boat names. Some are amusing, some are very appropriate to the boating community, some are - deliberately, I guess - plain inappropriate. I regret not having photographed all of those worthy of memory. I thought I had pictures of  The Kids' Inheritance, Laughing GravyThe Slowness of Cows and Tegg's Nose, but they must have snuck off into some dark sector of my hard disc. What follows is a good selection from the rest.



The name isn't that catching, but it's significant to us. We were very happy to see Magnus while we were cruising some years back, for she (he?) is a boat we hired twenty or so years previously for a lovely family holiday. Now no longer part of the Viking hire fleet (all of their boats had Scandinavian names, though Ingrid is the only other one I remember), she's privately owned.
















  



Kantara is an Arabic word meaning bridge. The couple who had her built back in 1999 moved to Tunisia, and the boat was like their bridge to life in England, somewhere here they could call home.Their home in Tunisia, we later discovered, is something of a villa. They call it Kantara Residence. And very nice it is, too!

(For more general boaty photos on Flickr CLICK HERE)

*******


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!