Saturday, June 20, 2020

Relaxed Lockdown day 19 (or is it? I might have lost count)

We've had wonderful rain this week. I think Tuesday was the best. At about 6:00pm it started very sporadically, with very large drops falling in in brief spells while clouds built up. Then it poured noisily, heavily, accompanied by spectacular lightning and thunder. The humidity of the air inside the boat has risen to around 70%. It's good to have the dehumidifier.



And it's been like that for the past few days. This morning I discovered that rain was running down the inside and the outside of the stove flue, puddling on top of the stove as well as in its fire pot. The cowl on top of the flue was turned so that the rain could beat into the flue, so putting the cap on it instead of the cowl stopped the ingress of water for the time being, but there remain some questions to be answered. Like, how did water get in down the outside of the flue? And why did putting the cap on the top stop that water as well as what was running down the inside?

NB Achernar set out when the weather looked as if it might have finished its wetness (it hadn't). They're off on their annual cruise, then. I won't deny we felt, still feel, envious, but we remain resolved to stay put until the daily data starts to show regular zeros. If there's going to be a second wave of the Coronavirus, as many experts think there will be - and as several other countries are experiencing - then we don't want to be away from our comfort zone; the marina. There are several couples here who share that attitude, though it has to be said that all of us are in the age group that is deemed to be more vulnerable to infection.

Having said that, the experts have changed their minds on this issue at least twice since April 1st. We'll take no chances.

On another note... After the crows came the red kites.

(photo from Unsplash)

They're not at all uncommon around here, (are they uncommon anywhere in England now?) but on Tuesday I had five of them wheeling above me as I enjoyed my coffee ritual. Of course, the crows took exception to their presence, arrogant bullies that they are, and did their best to chase them off. I was amazed to witness one of them regretting his attack.

Two kites were being harassed by this one crow. He'd picked the wrong ones. The time came when they'd had enough. He was being very persistent and quite violent, so, while one lured him to pursue her, her partner spiralled up to a great height. There, he folded his wings against his body, then plummeted vertically at great speed, and knocked the crow out of the sky. The victorious couple flew off to join the others. It was all over in seconds. I wish I'd been able to video it.

(photo from Unsplash)

(similar photo by me. Oh! It's a cormorant!)

The day had a beautiful, monotone face first thing yesterday morning. I was fast asleep when Grace took these photos. It had mostly cleared by the time I woke up.




I've not sat at the end of the jetty for the past couple of days because of the rainy wind (and windy rain), but it's sunny now. I'll go and make up for it!

*******

3 comments:

  1. Oh Roger, I do feel for you. To be on the boat, but not able to go anywhere. We're on ours, but can't go anywhere either. I still have to work for one, and for another, the Hennie Ha's engine is still not running...twiddle thumbs. Lovely photos, by the way! We've had the rain here too and very welcome it is, but it's mostly stopped now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about Hennie Ha's engine, Val. How frustrating. Achernar's back, so that's two people I can stop envying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope the rain's stopped now. We have a scorcher of a week forecast, so I'm not sure which is worse. We need more rain, and I love the sun, but it's so much better when cruising.Later. It will happen later, I know :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!