Friday, October 15, 2021

And now the good news!

Early this year, I saved my back from possible harm when I bent at the knees to pick up a 48kg box, and popped a hernia instead. In due course, I had a phone consultation with my GP, followed a week later by an in-person visit. He duly got me put on the West Herts NHS waiting list for surgery. I was aware of the huge backlog of folk needing all sorts of surgery, so I bought a hernia support belt and resigned myself to a long wait.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I was called to see a surgical consultant at the local hospital on 22nd September, the day before my 70th birthday. I accepted it gratefully as a gift! He told me that he would be able to arrange for me to have the operation before Christmas. Soon after arriving back home, I got a phone call offering me an appointment at the Pre-op Assessment unit. Over the next few days, I was given a date for a Covid swab test and for surgery four days later.

The swab test was last Friday, 8th October, after which I had to isolate until I went in for the operation on the Monday. I was there at 2:30pm and out by 8:00. Job done! Now it's a matter of rest and healing and building up gradually to full mobility - it's all a bit sore at the moment! I'm told that in eight weeks' time I will be able to get on with life as it was pre-box-lift.

And that means...!

I'm feeling very blessed. We'll be seeing her once more this year, to do a few small jobs to ready her for next year, and to winterise her. Then we'll be making plans!


2 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful, Roger. That is excellent news indeed. Look after yourself for the next weeks and you'll be back on board for springtime cruising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I'm already hearing the call of the waterways!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!