Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Parallel universes

The theory of Parallel Universes (or alternative universes - the American Alternate Universes actually means "every other universe") is a theory to which I do not hold, great physicist as I am not. On the day the theory is proven, I shall eat my left foot, sock and shoe included. I shall, however, only do that in one of the other universes, not in this one.

Photo from forbes.com

But, scepticism aside, I've been thinking recently on this... In a parallel universe where the only difference from ours is that there is no coronavirus pandemic, what have we done, Grace and I? How much boating have we done? Where have we been? How badly sunburned did we get? (remember the heatwave, way back?) Did we get caught in flooding? How long did we spend moored up in unremitting wind and rain? (I'm sure you remember them.)

In this universe, we're already way past the amount of time we'd previously spent on a moored boat in one stretch. Our plans to go out regularly to touch up paintwork have come to nought because of  the several Storms with Names, and today's forecast doesn't suggest that's going to change in the foreseeable ten days - though I have my doubts that any meteorologists can actually see that far ahead, computers or no computers.


Had it not been for the virus, we would have been out on the cut for several extended cruises by now. So we would have experienced all of that weather as proper boaters, not the berthed versions we are now. But, as I've said before, although there are many out there happily cruising, we've not been inclined to take the risk of contracting Covid whilst parked out in the wild and windy moorings of the Peak Forest Canal, say.

But I know; one man's wisdom is another man's wussiness. I'm not ashamed, 😀

*******


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!