Thursday, August 01, 2019

Like a rubber ball

I'm old enough to remember one Bobby Vee singing "I'm like a rubber ball, I come bouncing back to you" (1960), and it was what I was singing as we toddled along the pontoon last Wednesday, returning once more to Kantara.

Grace had bought herself a couple of toys tools for finishing her sanding and oiling job on the oak draining board and work-top, and she knuckled down (a strange expression that always makes me think of Neanderthals) to that job straight away, while I started the long haul of washing the boat. I never did complete it. The weather was against me.

It was absurd. In the course of three days, the weather ranged from blistering sun to chilly, heavy rain, the temperature inside between 33° and 18°. At 4:30 on Sunday I lit the stove, and it stayed on for four hours.

Fortunately, global warming didn't interfere with Grace's work, and she finished within a few days. I only got most of mine done. By Tuesday, we'd had enough of work and silly weather, so we went to Rugby to see the film "Yesterday", which was truly excellent!

We were very pleased to see that the resident swan family was still complete, with eight cygnets now doing their aggression lessons. "Feed me, or I'll bite your chest like my dad did!" I didn't manage to get any decent photos of them together.



Nor did I get the family of twelve ducks together.





(I think the first of those is actually moorhens)

I've been posting photos to a Facebook album of mine entitled "Scenes from our windows"



and added these three from one particularly beautiful morning.





It's Thursday now. We bounced back to St Albans again yesterday with a week ahead of us of further decorating assistance to Steve and Karolina and a family celebration of Grace's birthday. Next Wednesday, we bounce back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!