Tuesday, May 07, 2019

A surprise meeting

As we moved off the next morning, we had it in mind that we'd rather like to exchange our empty gas bottle for a full one. It would have been really good if the one currently in use were to run out as well. We suspected it was very nearly empty. Then we'd exchange both bottles, and leave with gas enough for several weeks. That was not to be, and the "very nearly empty" bottle is still going strong a over week later!

It was good weather and easy cruising, and all the locks were downward. At Seabrook Locks, we were joined by a 38-footer manned by a couple and their son. They pulled in ahead of Kantara, and the woman came to help me manage the lock, standing across the chamber from me. She looked hard at Kantara, then at me, and said, "Did you used to teach at FCA?" I sort of remembered her. "Yes, I did!" "So did I!" she replied. "I thought I recognised your boat's name."

Okay so we didn't actually remember each other's names, and the eight years that have passed since I left the academy are bound to have changed us. Donna's hair is now fairer and longer. Mine is white and longer! We didn't have a lot to do with each other at work; Donna only taught two days a week at FCA. But we did get to talking about our narrowboats. Theirs was actual and in the process of being shortened - by Donna and her husband - and ours was actually only part of our plan at the time. And now they were driving their shortened boat into a lock alongside our actualised boat. What were the chances of our meeting like this?

Donna and I, and later her husband (never did find out his name) and I, chatted as we worked the locks down to Slapton, swapped stories, mostly about our canal experiences of course. They were out on a five-day trip which was also going to be something of a test of a repair job he'd done. I think.

At Slapton Lock we parted company with Donna and co. after the very short surprise meeting, and waved them off as we moored for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!