Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Something of a setback

I've had little to write about for ages. I can't imagine that you'd be very interested about our family Christmas day gathering (it was fabulous), or the Boxing day walk (very enjoyable), or our New Year's Eve celebration (we watched the fireworks on TV, and toasted 2024 in), so I come to this post with very little to report.

The big thing on my mind is that I have Osteoarthritis in my left hip. It's predominantly a female condition, and it can be passed down genetically. My mum suffered from it and had to have a hip replacement because of it.  It didn't come on slowly, it just got me very painfully one morning when I got out of bed.

I'm glad to say that it's not too bad. It seems to come and go, which is weird, isn't it? I went to the doctor, and he poked and prodded, ummed and ahhhed, told me it's mild and isn't likely to get worse, congratulated me for not being overweight, and referred me to the physiotherapist, who told me much the same thing and gave me exercises to do. 

(Bang goes the Pilates I was going to start - my daughters swear by it.) I'm determined to get the better of this. If it doesn't improve enough, bang goes our boating, too! Jumping on and off the boat and doing the locks and heavy carrying would be quite out of the question at the moment.

Ho hum...

I have a lot to be thankful for, though. I'm 72 and have been very fit and healthy since birth. The same is true of Grace and the kids. I'm not going to be down about this. I'll beat it, you'll see!

See also "Enough of being negative!"





2 comments:

  1. Glucosamine might help, Roger. It's a tough one, I know, but keeping moving is absolutely essential as part of beating, but I expect you know that already. A friend of mine who has it quite badly is co-owner of a lovely Dutch barge. She and her husband cruise in France every summer, and she swears that all the activity on the boat, including jumping on and off, are good for her arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Val. I've only just seen your encouraging comment. Thank you! I'll take the advice of your friend. I'll look into Glucosamine, too.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!