Saturday, July 29, 2023

The future of our canals - do they have one?

I want you all to know that I am generally an optimist, a happy man who likes to look on the bright side of life. That said, I have to confess that a number of my posts over the past twelve years have borne negative elements, particularly when things have gone wrong for us. (I did say that I am generally an optimist. I didn't say always) Current events have taken me over the edge of optimism, however.

First of all, so-called sticky diesel, which I've already written about here on the blog. The number of victims is rising, and it seems that no-one has a solution to the problem yet.

Secondly, we've learned that the Canal and River Trust's financial support from DEFRA  (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs) has been slashed, and our canals need considerable work to be done to satisfy the daily demands of the boats, bicycles. anglers and walkers who use them.

Most recently, I've read warnings about Japanese knotweed. Quoting CRT, "It has no natural predators, enabling it to grow rapidly, up to 2cm a day and three metres high overall. It can grow through tarmac and concrete, breaking the surface open, so it can cause serious damage to our structures. The plant is common throughout Britain but cannot be cut or manually removed because of its ability to grow from tiny fragments, smaller than a one penny piece. We have to spray it with a herbicide, which is a slow, expensive process. We spend nearly £100,000 per year controlling giant hogweed and Japanese knotweed" (another invasive species).

£100,000 a year, just to keep the canal network free of these plants!

Fortunately, there are hundreds thousands of volunteers across the country who work to keep the canals clear for boats and other users, but there aren't enough of them to replace those companies who charge huge sums of money to do work on the canals. And our dear government is cutting their funding..

 To quote CRT again, "We are issuing a stark warning that government funding cuts mean our much-loved canal network is at risk of closures."

They could, of course, raise the cost of boat licenses, but that won't go down well with the vociferous boaters who complain that CRT's failing to do its job as it is, and are already charging too much. It might even drive some off the canals; those who already find the costs too high.

Is there a future for our beloved canals? I'm beginning to think not.






1 comment:

  1. That’s sad, Roger. I haven’t heard people complaining about sticky diesel here, but weed is always an issue. I hope the future isn’t as bleak as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!