Friday, July 02, 2021

Every picture tells a story; a picture paints a thousand words

Some of you will know that sometimes I laughingly refer to myself as a "blogographer". Most of my photos find their way onto this blog in one way or another. Every picture tells a story, a picture paints a thousand words, and all that. It's no secret that my camera of choice is far from fancy. It's an old 12.2 megapixel Samsung PL80 with a 5x zoom, and I love it. I have another, rather better specified camera that I do use from time to time, but the small size of the Samsung is what gives it the edge for everyday use. I can take it anywhere with no encumbrance.

But there's another, more important feature of this little device that I value a great deal. Because it only has a tiny lens and very restricted zoom capability, it forces me to look at things close to me. I belong to a Facebook group for wildlife photographers, amateur and otherwise, and the majority of the photos there are fabulous close-ups of birds and other animals. These are taken with expensive cameras with huge lenses and very fast shutter speeds, often shot from a considerable distance.

photo by Jonny Reed

But these three photos, taken with my diddy camera, leaning out of the side doors of the boat, have caused quite a stir on social media. They are simply shots of reflections on the water just outside Kantara.

 


I've also posted a lot of shots of  clouds, sunsets, flowers, trees and insects in the FB group Jonny Reed belongs to, and I've been delighted to see a growing number of other members displaying theirs. I think it's so important to take a look at what's close-up, those beautiful, mysterious or simply odd things that don't demand a telephoto lens.







I've just signed out of FB and Twitter for an indefinite period. I have to overcome that FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) syndrome again. It's a bit like a fast; hard to do, but essential for one's wellbeing. Since the main purpose of this blog is to be my own record of my life, to be looked back at from time to time, it will continue. My main problem with it at the moment is that my current situation has made our daily lives very small. There's not a lot to write about. We can't cruise, and we lack the drive to do much else. If I explained that in any greater detail, I'd probably lose most of you readers because I'm so dreary!

Enough. I'll say no more on the subject.

If you need a good read or four, please take a look at my books here on Amazon or, if you'd like to see more of my art work, visit my pages on Flickr.

I'm off.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos, Roger, and I agree. Get close up yourself rather than having a limitless zoom...although I do like my zoom, I have to confess. I use a pocket Panasonic camera. It’s 5e best one for me because it’s the one I always have with me. Enjoy your detoxing from Twitter and FB! I’m glad you’ll still be here, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Val. I'll still be here, but I think I'll be posting less for some time. I'll pop in to yours from time to time, though!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!