Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A picture paints a thousand words

So said playwright Henrik Ibsen, but was he exaggerating? A little bit of superbole (rather less exaggerated than hyperbole) gets your attention though, doesn't it? I should know. I'm always, always, always exaggerating. Always.

I think I know a bit about pictures. I've taken over 20,000 of them since I got my first digital camera nineteen years ago. I think a picture may well easily paint dozens of words, maybe hundreds, depending upon the picture and the viewer's imagination. The very gifted could make a whole story, I guess. What picture painted Ibsen's 'A Doll's House', I wonder. Or 'Peer Gynt'? 'Ghosts'?

Since September 24th last year, I've been posting photos on Twitter and Facebook - my profile, Kantara's page, and three boaters' groups - almost every day. 83 of them to date. They're all photos that I have taken - mostly whilst out cruising, almost all of them related to our waterways - and enhanced with software on my laptop. And I've been delighted by people's responses to them. I'm very pleased to say they've proven very popular. To me, they tell stories of places we've visited, things we've seen. They're not long stories, but they're good ones, available to me every time I look at the picture. I wonder what words they paint for other viewers.

It occurred to me today that if I only have them in FB and Twitter, they're going to get lost as they work their way down my list of posts day by day. It also occurred to me that many readers of this blog don't use Facebook or Twitter, so they won't have seen them. For these reasons, I'm posting them here on the blog, and will update them perhaps weekly. 

Here, then, is a gallery of the pictures so far. I do hope you enjoy them. Please comment at the bottom of the page, even if you don't!





















































































2 comments:

  1. Excellent collection of photos. Thank you for sharing them. Reminds me just how much I miss the waterways at the moment.

    Mike
    nb Duxllandyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Yes, we feel the same way, but I guess it'll make the whole experience that much more special when we finally get out there! Best wishes to you both. Be safe.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!