Thursday, September 03, 2020

This post is rather random, isn't it? Our life's a bit like that at the moment.

The marina was quite busy over the Bank Holiday weekend, with lots of craft on the move; largely non-residents paying a brief visit to their boats and taking them out for a spin, I think. We didn't venture out, though. We were committed to going back to the house on Monday - and trying to avoid the holiday home-going traffic - in order to take Jess to Luton airport at 4:30 am on Wednesday to board a flight to a three-month stay in Iceland.


Those days when the weather wasn't so good, the sunsets rewarded us for putting up with it.



Lindsey Ann and AtLast have both left their berths now, and once again our view from Kantara has widened, this time even more than before. We can now see "To infinity and beyond!" (Toy Story) (What do you mean, you haven't seen Toy Story??)



I picked up this poem from Facebook. We know Glascote Locks, and remember the slowness of the lock-filling process as we ascended the pair. This made us chuckle.


This post has become rather random, hasn't it? But I'll keep going. Our life's a bit like that at the moment. Random.

Our replacement burgee has arrived. Now all we need is the arrival of  weather that's consistently decent over a period of days; then we can go out on another paint touching-up trip and test it.


Why is it that we only see skies this friendly in the evening at the moment?



These ducks were rather alarmed to see me lying down and pointing my camera at them.



These wonderful fungi have popped up all over the place again, just like last year. I posted this photo in a few boaters' groups on Facebook, asking if anyone knew what they are. I mentioned that I hoped they were edible. I wish I hadn't now. It caused some controversy! A lot of readers mistook "Does anyone know what these are?" for "Can I eat these"? Okay, I did say that I hoped they might be a tasty addition to a plate of bacon, eggs and tomato, but I added to that "but I bet they aren't".



They're rather beautiful though, don't you think?

Back at the house on Monday afternoon - the M1 traffic was much better than I had anticipated - I found the garden looking fabulous. Well, fabulous in places, anyway...




And then came this morning - Wednesday. We drove Jess to the airport, and as I write she's settled in to the Reykjavik hotel room in which she is quarantining for a week, after which she'll move to other accommodation for the rest of her stay. The virus test she took as soon as she arrived in the town came up negative, but she has to take another one in a few days' time before she can go to work.


Jess has recently qualified as a copy-writer, and taken up an internship in an English-speaking magazine, Grapevine, and they've already given her assignments to do during her quarantine. Unsurprisingly, she's very excited about it all. After her quarantine week, she'll be in the Grapevine office full-time - though she'll be out and about a fair bit, too, finding material to write about. I'm not in the least bit jealous, I tell myself.

Meanwhile, it's pouring with rain here.

*******



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!