Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Hippocampus!!

How many of you know the word? How often do you use it? How many times a day, week or month? In a whole year, even? How often do you think the word will be uttered today in your town? In the UK?

I was looking out of a window, enjoying the canal countryside scene. A boat passed by.

"Hippocampus!?" I shouted out.

Michelle was sitting, reading a book.

"What made you say that?" she asked, with some incredulity in her voice.

"That boat is called Hippocampus!" I answered, a little gobsmacked. What a strange name for a narrowboat!

"Really? That's amazing!" came back Michelle. "I was just reading that word in this book!"

She read the passage out to me. 
"The administrative assistant who comes in at night, while you’re asleep, to clear that logjam in her in-box is the part of the brain called the hippocampus. The hippocampus takes all these folders and files them in places that make sense."
(Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult)
I ask you, dear readers, what are the chances of that happening? I cannot imagine. I'll tell you one thing, though. "Hippocampus" will be said a lot more than usual, now that you've read this post!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!