Friday, July 10, 2020

Don't step on a bidet. Stowe Park and Gardens.

Wednesday, 8th July

I've just had the strangest conversation with Grace. 
I was elbow-deep in the washing up when she called out to me, "It's don't step on a bidet on the 10th!" 
"Don't step on a bidet... on the 10th?" I replied, a little puzzled.
"Yes," she said. "The day after tomorrow."
We don't have a bidet. There simply wasn't enough space on the boat. I just have to put my foot up on the loo to tie my shoelaces instead. 
"Why would anyone want to step on one in the first place?"
"Well, it'd be by accident, of course. It's just about being careful."
"Just on that day?"
"Well, yes... No. I suppose the idea is that you start on that day, and then make it a habit not to step on them in future."
"But how on earth can you step on one by accident? They're not that small."
"Well, some of them are. It wouldn't be difficult if you weren't looking where you were going, would it?"
I couldn't believe two intelligent people were having this discussion.
"Grace, what are we talking about?"
There was a long silence, then I got the 'I'm being very patient with you, but I expect you don't deserve it' voice.
"On Friday of this week, the nation is being asked to be very careful not to tread on bees. To protect the species because we need them. Pollinators, you know?"
I smote my brow. "Don't Step on a Bee Day. On the 10th. Friday. Okay! Got it!"
Sometimes, we just don't communicate all that well.

(with apologies to Tim Dowling)

=======

We'd booked another visit to a National Trust property; Stowe Park and Gardens. As with our last two such outings, we'd got tickets online on the previous Friday, arrival between 12:00 and 12:30. It rained on the boat most of the morning, it rained on us on and off as we drove there, and then it stopped. And it stayed that way for the rest of the day. Dry, and surprisingly warm. It was a fabulous day.

We arrived at just before 12:00, left at 15:40, and returned to heavy rain in the marina.


 Stowe School - Boarders £12,697 per term. Day pupils  £9,128 per term.
No reductions for NT members


  
One of the several temple follies


  







  I
 didn't say it wasn't cloudy from time to time. It just didn't rain!




 
 The Gothic temple - £40 per person per night for a four-night stay.



  The Palladian Bridge



 
A ruined something or other... folly?


There were lots of pillars, too!

=================


And, as a special bonus, thistles in Yelvertoft


Such simple things can be so pleasing


*******

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!