Saturday, July 04, 2020

Talking heads meditating

Wednesday, 1st July

I didn't tell you the one problem I have with the new meditation routine. If I fall asleep whilst meditating, have I meditated?

The writer says quite categorically it's absolutely normal to nod off during a session, that it's not a problem. But the issue that he doesn't address is this: what if I start meditating for twenty minutes -  the duration he recommends - and wake up to find that half an hour has passed? Or forty-five minutes? That's not simply "nodding off", is it? What do I do then? Start again and hope that sleep won't overtake me this time because I'm so well refreshed? Or is that it? Meditation over.

I am much exercised about it, though I won't lose sleep over it.

On a non-sleep note, We are thoroughly enjoying the new production of Alan Bennet's Talking Heads on BBC1 and iPlayer. I've never before seen all of them, and this series includes two monologues written specifically for this series. I always feel awkward expressing my thoughts about actors - what made me an expert? But I must say that I've been bowled over/blown away/overwhelmed - pick your own idiom - by these performances. We'll watch two more of them this evening in the slot now deserted by The Great British Sewing Bee (very good TV, great fun, but not mind-blowing).

(photos from The Guardian)

Further easing of Covid regulations now allows us to cruise for as long as we want - with various local restrictions - and return unannounced to the marina. So we may well venture out soon, probably towards the Welford Arm, to do a bit of paint restoration on the boat - long overdue now, though not seriously so.

 Here, maybe...

...or here.

But we're still not trusting the current reality enough to go further for longer. There'll be a second wave soon, I'm sad to say.

Today, we're off to Canons Ashby. By car.

*******

2 comments:

  1. Oh that will be lovely, Roger. I hope you get some good weather to go with it. As for the meditating thing, I think sleep is a natural consequence of meditation and it doesn't matter how long you nap for. I've never managed to meditate at all, so I'm no expert, but I can imagine it would be very easy to nod off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hopeful, Val. The weather doesn't bother us too much. We've been out happily in some pretty awful conditions over the years, and we simply moor up until it's better. The wind we're experiencing at the moment might be an issue, though. It's quite something!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!