Monday, April 06, 2020

Lockdown day 16 - Masks... and pants

My dear wife loves a challenge, and today she's preparing to make a couple of face masks using the limited resources we have on the boat. If only we were at the house... (fabrics, sewing machine, large table...) She started off by suggesting that I could keep my mouth closed and stuff this up my nose,


but, after a brief discussion, she was persuaded that she might better use it as part of the structure of something rather more effective and less humiliating. She's now hunting through my drawers. I haven't told her about the YouTube video in which a guy makes a mask out of a pair of his boxer shorts.


(Darn, she just looked over my shoulder and saw it, and beetled off excitedly.)

These two are discovering that using women's panties doesn't quite work - though it may serve some other strange purpose.


Maskless, I went shopping at the Co-op this morning where, for the first time ever, there were several gaps on the shelves. They did have mixed peel this time, though, so we won't go too hungry. There were masks on neither staff nor customers, except one young man who had a black bandanna tied over his nose and mouth. It made him look shifty. I was quite expecting him to go to the checkout, pull out a gun and demand they hand over the cash. Come to think of it, wouldn't you think that of the SpyderMan, too?

[Later] I now know that Grace has ordered some cotton fabric for making the masks. My underwear is safe for the time being at least. She's very cleverly identified pipe-cleaners to be ideal for the bit holding the fabric over the bridge of the nose. (I'd like to point out that we don't smoke pipes; these were bought for craft work.) I can confirm that the elastic will not at any point be going into my nostrils, but will be used to go around the back of the head to hold the masks on. Watch this space for details of the finished items. You'll have to allow time for slow delivery of the fabric, but the wait will be worth it.


2 comments:

  1. Haha, this made me chuckle, Roger. I saw a brilliant clip about making face masks from the sleeve of an old long sleeved teeshirt. It needs no sewing or elastic either. And yes, Spyder Man and Batman too were very alarming looking individuals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're just confused now by the mixed messages - to mask or not to mask, that is the question.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!