Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Lockdown day 25 - Books and blogs and bits and bobs

I think I've reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me. Today, this is the result.

BOOKS
I'd far rather that this pandemic had never happened, of course, but I'm wondering if the social distancing and shut-down are the reason for a sudden spike in my book sales. People are turning to books to ward off boredom, perhaps. Several other Kindle publishers are thinking the same thing. So, if you're in need of a good book to get carried away with, please try my latest.


They chose a narrowboat, and canal life changes things.
It changes people, too. And dogs.

"Buy it, especially now in these stressful times. It will transport you to a world where self-isolation is a real pleasure." (Valerie Poore)

Valmarp
5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully wistful and rather beautiful novel
Reviewed in the United States on 22 March 2020
Verified Purchase
I was lucky enough to Beta read this book, but I loved it so much I bought the 'improved' version on publication and have read it again. It's a wonderful story of a journey on a canal with a dog, but that is in part allegorical because it's also the story of the journey of a couple's relationship, with each other and with their dog. It is full of lovely dialogue, beautiful canals, charming, colourful characters and a totally gorgeous spaniel. I can recommend it highly for anyone and everyone: boat lovers, dog lovers, character driven novel lovers and simple old fashioned story lovers. It's set on the English canals, where life is as wonderful as it can be. Buy it, especially now in these stressful times. It will transport you to a world where self-isolation is a real pleasure.

And/or take a look at my previous ones in the Kindle Store.


The writer of the review above is Valerie Poore, herself a blogger and prolific writer of books, and you can find hers in The Kindle Store, too.


Her BLOG, largely about her life in a Dutch barge in Rotterdam, can be found here. Enjoy!

My BLOG... oh, you're reading it.

(That was the books and blogs bit. This is the bits and bobs...)

I've signed up to Foodsmiles St Albans' One Plant Promise, a challenge to grow this year at least one plant to eat. Grace planted Nasturtium seeds in a trough at the front of the boat, and the first shoots have burst through. When they're fully grown, every part of the plant can be eaten, especially as part of a salad. I'm a little anxious now that I've discovered that "Nasturtium" is Latin, and means, quite literally "Nose twist"!


The breeze on the Marina pond under the late-afternoon sky yesterday...


and the same water this afternoon with no wind.


And these are just snaps I took while I was doing the longest possible walk around the marina site today.







Before I finish this, I'll go and see if there's a sunset...


There was!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Thank you for the mention, Roger. That's really very kind. I hope your book is going well. It deserves to...a really lovely story. I know you don't publish the comments, but I hope you see this and know that I'm enjoying your blog posts and hoping you both stay well and safe....more writing maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Val. It was a pleasure to mention you and your books. I'm sure they're doing well. Blogging's a bit difficult at the moment because so little is happening that's worth writing about, but I have started on another novel - this one about a teacher.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!