Friday, March 27, 2020

Lockdown day 6 - A great way to achieve social distancing

I treated myself to an exercise walk to Cracks Hill yesterday. The weather was just right for it. I only saw two people. One was a jogger who overtook me on the canal towing-path, and the other was a baby-carrying woman who hurrying down the Crick Bridle Road towards me. We passed with two meters between us, but she seemed rather distressed. She was probably the owner of an abandoned small saloon car further up the path. It was up to its hubcaps in soft mud, and pieces of turf covered the ground around it, having been thrown up by her spinning wheels. She'd well and truly dug herself in. My problem was understanding how the heck she had got there, having had to cross three very uneven fields and gone through four farm gates. Odd.

Cracks Hill was silent, and I sat there for some time enjoying the sights, the fresh air, and the music in my headphones.








Back at the boat I continued the out-door theme and sat at the end of the pontoon with a cup of coffee, my music, and the beauty of the marina. This could become something of  a fair-day ritual. I've just come in from today's.

I did much the same walk today. This time I was intending to take the photos I didn't take yesterday of the mud-stuck car. Unfortunately - though fortunately for the owner - it had been rescued but, judging by the new deep ruts in the mud further down the bridle path, it hadn't been easy going.

This is where she gave up trying yesterday...
...and this is clearly one of several places where she got stuck again on her way down the track later.
Strangely, there were signs on Cracks Hill that perhaps this is some kind of local sport.




Social distancing is fine when there are walks like this to do!



I didn't pass this boat. Walkers have been asked not to go near moored boats in order to avoid
the risk of contagion should there be someone inside who has symptoms of the virus.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, Roger. Self isolation has some upsides, doesn't it? It forces us to slow down and appreciate the world around us more. You are having lovely sunny days like ours. It makes it all somehow easier to bear, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Val, we've been aware of the difference it's made to our pace of life. And the weather and the countryside are wonderful bonuses.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!