Thursday, September 05, 2019

Now you see us...

After a week or so back in St Albans (cat-sitting while all of the kids were away on holiday in Scotland with a group of friends) and Luton (decorating) we're now on Kantara again. We were able to have our six-year-old domestic batteries changed without us needing to be here but, as I type, the chipboard floor of the "cupboard" under the well-deck - damp and mouldy from years of occasional unavoidable leaks from the water tank - is being replaced, and we wanted to be here for that.

It's given me the opportunity to remove our stern gland greaser and see if I can identify the reason for grease escaping under pressure at the bottom of the tube, where it screws into its base. There was no evidence that there were crossed threads as I had feared, but it's very likely that a lifetime of use has caused wear. I'll replace it, fingers crossed.

On Saturday morning Kantara will have her three-yearly Boat Safety Scheme examination. We don't envisage any problems. After that, back to the house, and wallpapering Steve and Karolina's house.







2 comments:

  1. Oh Roger, will you and Grace ever get to spend a whole year on Kantara? I've missed your travels, but at least you're having some time on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Six months later) In the light of the current circumstances, I guess we'll be here the entire year, Val. Whether we actually leave the marina is very uncertain!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!