Saturday, June 22, 2019

We didn't change our plans, they were changed for us!

A month ago almost to the day I wrote that " we're spending a week in Kendal* before going back to Kantara, (changing the oil and filter), and going out on another cruise." I was wrong. That was wishful thinking. (Just to remind myself, this is what Kantara looks like.) (*It wasn't Kendal, it was Cautley, Sedbergh, some fourteen miles away.)



(And this is a canal.)



It's true that the weather's not been particularly inviting over the past weeks, and friends and acquaintances who have been out in it have reported some pretty soggy experiences and severely restricted travelling. (Just to remind myself, this is what that looks like.)



But, just as we seem to have entered a dry and sunny spell, we've had to deal with a dying central heating boiler, trees, hedges and shrubs that have started to take over the front garden, negotiations with the builders of next-door's extension regarding our boundary fence, and the need for a new side gate,and my need for new specs. It all takes time, and it all has to be done here.

(Just to remind myself, this is what the garden looks like when it doesn't have trees, hedges and shrubs that need to be cut back.)



On the bright side, Steve and Karolina have just today started to move into their first home together.



Last Sunday was Father's Day. We'd planned to have a family lunch in Verulamium Park, but the weather didn't look very promising. Well, if it did, it was promising to rain. So we ate at home, and went down to the park afterwards to make the most of the newly-appeared sun and do the Old St Albans Treasure Trail together.










Then back to the house for coffee and cake and cream. Perfect!

Yesterday I ordered new glasses. Three pairs. Arm and leg time. Won't be ready for two weeks. Any hope of being back on Kantara soon have been further scotched. Talking of being scotched, it was Rabbie Burns who said, in his best tartan accent, no doubt, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang oft agley.”, which, being roughly translated, means, "If you make plans, too bad."


2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry. Plans, hey? I hardly dare mention them myself. I hope you get back to her sooon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect (23/04/2020) "The best laid plans of mice and men" comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!