Friday, November 30, 2018

Boring?

What can I say? I'm boring! Almost as troubling, though, is that I'm not bored.

Digging my way through the heaps of history in the attic is... fun! We've visited Ikea no less than three times since we hibernated Kantara. Ikea!!

Another time, I've been fascinated by the town of Baldock through which I wandered while Grace gave knitting-machine lessons to a woman who gave her in return a knitting machine she had going spare. Grace used to write knitting machine patterns professionally some decades ago, but never actually produced anything for herself. I posted a "Wanted, knitting machine" notice on Freegle, and this lady came up with the "swap you" scenario. A very good outcome!

 Baldock's Howard Park


A few days later, we attended "The Wisdom House", an evening of very inspirational chat by Rob Parsons, founder and director of  the amazing charity, Care for the Family It was the best £7 I'd spent for a long time!


Does anyone out there remember The Strawbs? They played at the nearby Harpenden Halls (where Jess works) last week, and we went along. We were never great fans, and they didn't convert me to their music that night - part of their 50 year celebration tour - but there's no denying their consummate skill and musicianship. Our main reason for going was to support Said the Maiden, who played a thirty-minute supporting set to open the show. It was a great fillip for them, adding this band to the other big names they've supported over the past six years or so - Lindisfarne, Fairport Convention, Clannad, Dave Swarbrick, Fisherman's Friends as well as some big Folk acts - Jim Moray, Megson, Martin Carthy and Cara Dillon.

The Maidens went down a storm with the Strawbs aficionados.

So this is who people paid to see...
...and this is who they got as an added extra!
I'm still not a Strawbs fan, though.

The weather's really lovely today, just what autumn should be like. The problem is that rain is forecast for tomorrow, and I'm helping with a Messy Church event - lots of small children, silly games and a live mock-up of the traditional nativity manger scene, complete with animals! In the rain! 😟

I certainly won't be bored!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!