Thursday, February 09, 2017

Back on board, and feeling stressed

We returned to Kantara on Saturday. The weather was chilly but glorious - a lovely welcome to us, we thought.



It must have been the smoothest after-Christmas return to the boat ever for us. We seem to have mastered at last the art of leaving the right things behind - on the boat as we leave in December, and in the house when we leave that a couple of months later - and packing the right stuff in anticipation of the year ahead.

The boat was chilly when we got aboard, understandably so in the light of the very low temperatures there have been here. But the little greenhouse heater we left on the whole time we were away had made a tangible difference, and the dehumidifier had done the job, too. We've continued to use both each night, and that works a treat for us. The boat's very quickly warm and cosy after I've lit the Bubble stove first thing.

I'm feeling a bit odd about myself at the moment - and who doesn't from time to time? I'm not usually a depressive type, but I've found myself becoming more and more stressed and depressed recently as I keep up with the news. Far too much about Brexit and about Trump has made me extremely angry, and put me on something of a downward slide emotionally.

So I've just read my last news on the internet, and I saw my last TV news two nights ago. I know there are lots of arguments to suggest that this isn't a good thing to do; that burying one's head in the sand isn't the responsible reaction, is too negative, cowardly even. I've been through all of that with myself, believe me. But I just don't want to be the depressive, irritable, grumpy old git I've been recently. It's not good for me, and it's not good for those I love, either. I'll be interested to see how I feel in a news-free month's time.


I've subscribed to a couple of news feeds that only post good news. Have you noticed that mainstream news media tend to ignore good news? There are lots of good news websites out there, though most of them seem to focus heavily on bunny-rabbits being rescued from drains by old ladies or young policemen - you know the kind of thing. I'll avoid those. I think they'd only add to my depression!
(www.sunnyskyz.com)

For the record, Colin visited yesterday, squeezing us into a busy schedule which already put him in this marina for a couple of other jobs. He came to adjust the accelerator cable, which wasn't letting the engine idle slowly enough. The job was done quickly, and the idle speed's just right. Now we can cruise!


4 comments:

  1. Politics is affecting me badly too. i find going out in the boat very therapeutic though, until I'm back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the boat's good for you, Dulcie. That's brilliant. These are hard times, but we can get away from them, at least for a while, and the canals are just so good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Roger, don't I know how you feel! I'm shamelessly ensuring I have a head shaped hole in the sand to duck in to when needed. It's been a horrible time and I'm looking forward to escaping it on the waterways come the summer too! Blogland is generally a good place to lurk though. They are generally full of interesting stuff and lots of good will too! Here's to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Val. I think faring is the best antidote to all sorts of negatives. If only this flipping weather would change!! Strangely, I've been inclined recently to do less blog-reading and vlog-watching. Books are becoming bigger in my life again (so hurry up with yours!), fiction and non-fiction. And the TV is almost redundant!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!