Friday, August 28, 2015

Yelvertoft, Australia?

You'd think that a name like Yelvertoft was unique, wouldn't you? I've done a fair bit of research into the history of the village and its name, and I've never come across the name used anywhere else.

Until yesterday. To be honest, I can't remember the series of events on the web which led to me stumbling upon it, but I did indeed stumble upon the information that there is, in the middle of nowhere in the Northern Territory of Australia, another Yelvertoft. And here it is...

The red line is the main road, the blue are rivers.
The grey areas are largely rock!
"Yelvertoft is a homestead on the Buckley River in west Queensland. Its closest capital city is actually Darwin (show me) in the Northern Territory about 1210km to the northwest (the capital of Queensland is Brisbane (show me), about 1650km away to the east-southeast of Yelvertoft). Yelvertoft is at an altitude of about 293m above sea level. Yelvertoft is one of the westernmost homesteads in Queensland. The nearest sea is the Arafura Sea which is part of the Indian Ocean about 300km north-northeast of Yelvertoft. The nearest more populous place is the city of Mount Isa which is 85km away with a population of around 21,000 (show me a map with Yelvertoft and Mount Isa)." (www.bonzle.com)


So it's a "homestead", and not a village. Very small. Tiny population. So one has to think that it got its name from someone who had once lived in Yelvertoft, Northamptonshire, yes? I'm in the process of trying to make contact with someone who might know. Someone living there, or someone from the appropriate local authority. Whatever that might be. It may be a vain hope, but I'm a bit fascinated, and it's worth a try.

Courtesy of Google Maps
This is as close as I could zoom in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!